Pick Your Flavor Zucchini Jam

 
My lovely neighbor brought me over a jar of jam the other day! Is there anything better in the world?! She shared the recipe with me and I just love it. It's a great way to use your zucchini from the garden!
 
 
 
Pick Your Flavor Zucchini Jam
 
Ingredients:
6 cups of grated Zucchini/Courgette (peel it if you don't like the skin to show. I love the skin bits, so pretty)
1/2 cup water
4 cups sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
1 (6 ounce) box raspberry Jell-O (you can use any flavor, strawberry is AMAZING!)
1 (2 ounce) box surejell fruit pectin  or equivalent - I currently use 6 TBL of a powdered pectin.
 
Directions:
1. Place nine clean glass  half-pint jars ( or 5 pint jars... or whatever you have on hand) with hot/boiling water in them on a cookie sheet in the oven at 200 degrees. Put the matching lids and rings in a pan with hot water on the stove at a simmer. Do this first as the cooking times really fly by and you want them to get good and hot! (I usually put a dishtowel under the jars so they don't slide around.)
 
2. Bring 1/2 cup water and 6 cups of zucchini to a boil thel let simmer for 6 minutes.
3. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and pineapple (juice and all) and let boil for 6 minutes.
4. Mix in the Jello and boil 2 minutes.

5. Add Surejell and boil for 1 minute.

Bonus Step: I don't like texture at all. *shudder* So I use my immersion blender at this point to mulch up all the pineapple and zucchini bits. If you like 'fruit pieces' in your jam then it's great as is. I could never handle that so I blend it. The zucchini skin gives the impression of seeds, and is very pretty, but doesn't have any discernible presence in your mouth.
 
6. Turn off heat and move pot to the counter where you'll be filling the jars (easier to clean than the stove). Take the jars out of the oven and carefully pour out the water.  Ladle jam into the hot jars. I leave some headroom - not sure the proper amount but I leave 1/2 - 3/4 inch.
7. Wipe rims with a damp cloth, put lids and rings on to finger tight and then turn jars upside down for 5 minutes.
 
8. Flip them back over and keep an eye on them. Once the lids all 'pop' they're ready to store, it can take up to 24 hours.

 NOTE: this jam looks very runny, but after cools it sets up quite firm. I know how solid your jam is can be regional thing and/or a matter of personal preference. If you want it runnier I'd skip the Sure jell.



Comments

  1. I love this idea! Zucchini is a vegetable that keep on giving so you end up giving it away. And who doesn't like jam? I use jam in more ways than one...PB&J's to glazing roasted chicken/pork. Yes you heard me...GLAZING...Seriously...It's great and handy. People are amazed every time I do it to the chicken or pork roast. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment