I made these for our Back To School Celebration, and they were divine!!
Lemon-Kissed Buttermilk Cupcakes with the World's Fluffiest Cream Cheese Frosting
from Brooke McLay
from Brooke McLay
- 2 cup(s) of sugar
- 1 cup(s) of water
- 3 tbsp. of cornstarch
- 1 juice of a single lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 pound(s) of butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 zest of a single lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of baking powder (**double if baking at an altitude below 5,000 feet)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) of flour
- 3/4 cup(s) of buttermilk
- 4 ounce(s) of PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE
- 6 cup(s) of powdered sugar
- 1 jar pre-made lemon curd (available in the jelly section of most grocery stores)
- In a large saucepan, whisk together 1/2 c. sugar, water, cornstarch, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt over medium heat until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat, and allow to cool. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together 2 sticks of butter, eggs, and the remaining granulated sugar until very light a fluffy.
- To the creamed mixture, add lemon zest, vanilla bean seeds (discard pod), salt, baking powder, flour and buttermilk.
- Beat batter together just until well mixed. Be careful to not overbeat the mixture!
- Spoon batter into a standard-sized muffin tin which has been lined with paper cupcake liners
- Bake cupcakes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or just until the centers have set and spring back to the light touch.
- In another large bowl, spoon the cooled cornstarch and lemon juice mixuture made in Step 1.
- Add 2 sticks of butter, the PHILADELPHIA CREAM CHEESE and 4 cups of powdered sugar to the cornstarch mixture. Beat with an electric mixer until frosting is very light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar by the quarter cup, if a thicker frosting consistency is desired
- Spoon frosting mixture into a large plastic, zip-top bag, snipping off the corner of the bag so the frosting can be easily piped onto the top of the cupcakes.
- To complete cupcakes: Scoop a small amount of cake from the center of each cooled cupcake. Place a scoop of lemon curd into the center of each cupcake. Pipe cream cheese frosting over each cupcake.
- Serve immediately, or store well-covered in the fridge for up to three days. Enjoy!