Whole{y} Wheat!

Man, it's tough getting back into the cooking routine after being on a cruise.....

When we got back I found this waiting for me {another perk of working for a fab company}:


Aaaahh.......KitchenAid Grain Mill, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways-

I can finally convert my buckets of this:
into this!

This thing is so easy to use! I once tried using my hand grinder to grind some wheat for bread. I think I got maybe a half cup for 30 minutes of grinding. No thanks! With the grain mill all you do is attach to your mixer, pour in the grain & turn the bad boy on! You can do up to 10 cups at a time & it only takes a few minutes!! Hallelujah.

I've been using my food storage wheat a TON now. I finally found a whole wheat bread recipe that uses only whole wheat flour. It turns out great every time.




Foolproof Whole Wheat Bread
(taken from The Domestic Art cookbook)

*I halve this recipe
2 T. yeast
7-11 C. whole wheat flour
1/2 C. warm water
2/3 C. honey
pinch of sugar
2/3 C. oil
5 C. hot water
1 T. salt

Sprinkle yeast in water, add sugar, but don't stir. Combine 5 cups hot tap water and 7 cups flour in large bowl of mixer. Add oil, honey, and salt, and mix until well blended. Add yeast, then 4-6 cups flour. Add flour only until dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl. Knead on low for 10 minutes. Coat bread pans with spray or butter, then turn dough onto oiled surface and divide into 4 equal portions and shape into loaves. Place dough in pans, put in a warm place and let raise until doubled in size. Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

**A few tips: This bread is absolutely delicious, it is dense and moist, and I've compared it to half a dozen others and think it's the best. I use a standard KitchenAid and my dough hook attachment. After my dough has been kneaded, I roll it out on an oiled surface (or use a Silpat non-stick mat) and roll it into a rectangle. Then, since I halve the recipe, I slice the dough down the middle, making sure the length of the dough doesn't surpass the length of my bread pan, then I roll it up like a cinnamon roll dough and plop it in the pan (seam-side down). This assures a perfectly sized, uniform-looking loaf. Also, I stick my loaves, uncovered, in the micro to raise and it works like a charm.

Comments