½ cup Butter, melted
2/3 cup Sugar
1 cup Buttermilk
½ tsp. Baking soda
1 cup Corn meal
1 cup Flour
½ tsp. Salt
1. Stir together and pour into greased 8-inch square pan.
2. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with honey butter.
French Peasant Bread
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 TB. sugar
4 cups flour
Place yeast, water, sugar and salt in warm bowl and stir until dissolved. Add flour and stir unitl blended. Do not knead. Cover and let rise one hour or until doubled in size. Flour hands, remove dough from the bowl and place in 2 rounds on an oiled cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Let rise an additional hour. Brush the top with melted butter and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temp. to 375 degrees and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and brush again with butter. Serve warm.
Balsamic Onions and Blue Cheese Salad
3 small Red onions
1/4 cup + 2 TB. Good Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup Good olive oil
1-2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground black pepper
6 TB. Minced shallots (2 large)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup Good red wine vinegar
1 lb. Blue cheese
2 heads Red-leaf lettuce, washed, spun dry and torn
1/2 cup Walnut halves
2 TB. Brown sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut onions in half and slice 1/4 inch thick. Place on baking sheet and toss with 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until onions are tender. Remove from the oven, toss with 2 more TB. Balsamic vinegar, and let cool to room temperature.
3. To make dressing, whisk shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in small bowl. While whisking, add 3/4 cup olive oil until dressing is emulsified.
4. To caramelize walnuts, combine walnuts, sugar, salt, cayenne, and oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook until sugar coats and caramelizes the nuts, about 5 minutes. Transfer to wax paper to cool.
5. To assemble, toss enough lettuce for 6 people with dressing to taste (dressing is very potent, so go easy!). Place lettuce on 6 plates and arrange onions, blue cheese, and walnuts on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.
2 cans Jelly cranberry sauce
6 TB. Lemon juice
6 oz. Cream cheese
½ cup Miracle whip
½ cup Powdered sugar
2 cups Chopped almonds
2 cups Cool whip
1. Whip cranberry and lemon juice until smooth. Pour into Jell-o mold and freeze.
2. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over frozen cranberry mixture and spread out evenly.
3. Freeze again until hard. Dump out on bed of greens and serve.
Slow Cooker Turkey and Stuffing
12 oz. Stuffing
1 cup Chicken broth
2 TB. Butter, melted
1 Onion, chopped
½ cup Celery, chopped
¼ cup Dried cranberries
3-5 lb. Boneless turkey breast, thawed
¼ tsp Dried basil
½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper
1. Grease slow cooker and spread dried stuffing mix on bottom.
2. Add broth, onion, celery, and cranberries; mix well.
3. Sprinkle turkey with basil, salt, and pepper. Place over stuffing mixture. Cover.
4. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until done. Remove turkey.
5. Gently stir stuffing and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
6. Place sliced turkey on platter with stuffing around it.
*Andrea- I can't find your apple pie recipe. Will you put in on? Thanks!